10/31/14

I Can Scare You With 26 Words

For Halloween, I wanted to share one of my all-time favorite scary stories.  It's incredibly short and over a hundred years old, but it's good enough that it stuck in my head for years.  I had to Google it until I found out who wrote it and where it came from.

It's called "A Woman Alone With Her Soul," which is already creepy enough, written by Thomas Bailey Aldrich:

A woman is sitting alone in a house. She knows she is alone in the whole world: every other living thing is dead. The doorbell rings.

Gives me chills every time!  For more, even shorter horror stories that are variations on this one, here's an interesting discussion thread you can check out.

If you want a story about a more everyday kind of scary (struggling to accept yourself for who you are), you can download my short story, "Harlequin," for free through November 1.


Happy Halloween!

No comments :

Post a Comment